close
close

Texas forecast for the 2024 hurricane season has made landfall

It has been an active spring storm season in Texas and across the country this year. With all the talk about heat, wind, and water—not to mention climate change—and how these elements might collide, I don’t think I’m the only one wondering about the upcoming hurricane season.

The official dates for hurricane season in Texas are June 1 through November 30. However, most hurricanes – also known as ‘tropical cyclones’ – often form in August or September. Storms hitting Texas build from the Atlantic Ocean and gather strength from the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico.

Unfortunately, the 2024 hurricane season in the Lone Star State appears to be more active than normal.

NOAA’s outlook for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season predicts an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season, and a 5% chance of a below-normal season. NOAA predicts a range of 17 to 25 total named storms (winds of 60 km/h or higher). Of these, 8 to 13 are expected to become hurricanes (wind speeds of 75 mph or higher), including 4 to 7 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with wind speeds of 110 mph or higher). – noaa.gov

Obviously, depending on where you live in Texas, preparedness measures will vary. If you live anywhere near the Gulf Coast, make sure you have precautions in place. Heavy rains, high winds and storm surge threaten those living in Texas’ coastal areas, even as far inland as Austin. Make sure you have a basic supply kit on hand to help in the event of a disaster.

NOAA’s 2024 forecasts cover overall Atlantic season activity. Whether and when any of these storms will make landfall is currently unknown.

Newstalk 1290 logo

The complete list of names for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season

Gallery credit: Dan Zarrow

Back To Top